Monday, October 26, 2009

Block Magic blocks ( 2nd set)


I borrowed the Block Magic book from the library. Liked the blocks in Block Magic Too book better but did find a few to make. Now I have to make the entire 25 blocks into a quilt. I'll probably put that in a UFO pile so I can get some Christmas done.

There's a story behind the 3 "star" blocks ... I made all the blocks & realized I needed one more to make the rows even. Wanted to do a simple block so I picked the Variable Star. Well... I didn't look closely at the pattern . It's the only one in the book that has 4" -12 " block cutting instructions.All the rest start at 6" blocks . I cut the whole thing out & put it together & realized it was too small. Made the 6"block & didn't like the way the batik showed the mostly green on part of the background. Made another one( the blue star background) . So my idea to make a simple block turned into quite a challenge. Wasn't hard, just annoying.

6 comments:

Pat said...

You really stuck with it to get the star block you wanted....good for you!!! I really like the blocks you have made from those two books.

Anonymous said...

I'm giggling because I know how Barb and I agonize over things (like getting that star block just right). The blue one is perfect! I love the crayons. Can't wait to see an entire quilt. :)

fabricartist21 said...

Your quilt is very professional looking and isn't it fun.

I am having a monthly giveaway on my blog go in and sign up for some fun.

fabricartist21 said...

Say I see that I was the last one to post on your blocks. go take a look at my blog and see what Etsy is doing and going to do this gift giving season.

Conni said...

What cute blocks, Barb! And the extra stars can be added to the backing!!

Micki said...

I like the blocks very much and I am sure that it will turn out to be a very special quilt.
I enjoyed your blog this morning over a cuppa coffee.
Micki